Friday, October 9, 2015

Review: Cinderella's Shoes - Shonna Slayton

"You're right.  The tags distracted me.  I need to stay with my original plan.  I'm here to find Cinderella's shoes and see if they can lead me to my dad."

23848381

Title: Cinderella's Shoes
Author: Shonna Slayton
ISBN: 9781633751231
Publication Date: October 6, 2015
Publisher: Entangled: Teen
Source: NetGalley


The war may be over, but Kate Allen’s life is still in upheaval. Not only has she discovered that Cinderella was real, but now she's been made Keeper of the Wardrobe, her sole responsibility to protect Cinderella’s mystical dresses from the greed of the evil stepsisters’ modern descendants.
But Cinderella’s dresses are just the beginning. It turns out that the priceless glass slippers might actually exist, too, and they could hold the power to reunite lost loved ones like her father—missing in action since World War II ended. As Kate and her boyfriend, Johnny, embark on an adventure from New York to Italy and Poland in search of the mysterious slippers, they will be tested in ways they never imagined.

Because when you harness Cinderella's magic, danger and evil are sure to follow...



~*~

I haven’t had the opportunity to read Cinderella’s Dress as of receiving the opportunity to read Cinderella’s Shoes.  So, once again, I’m jumping into an in-progress series without any background on the previous book.  However, I seem to have quite the lucky streak going in regards to reading series titles out of order, because Cinderella’s Shoes is another novel I was able to fully enjoy without having already read Dress.


I’m a sucker for fairy tale retellings, and Slayton did not disappoint.  Cinderella’s Shoes finds Kate Allen, navigating not only the aftermath of World War II, but her job as the Keeper of the Wardrobe, in her quest to find her missing father.


Watching Kate come into her own throughout the story was so gratifying.  I felt that Slayton did a wonderful job conveying Kate’s discomfort at being forced out of her comfort zone in a way which was wholly believable.  I’m really hoping we have a third book to look forward to because while Cinderella’s Shoes ties up a considerable number of loose ends, I feel a third book would help give Kate’s story more closure.  That, and I just really want another one of these. :)

Cinderella’s Shoes is a perfect blend of a classic fairy tale, magic, and real world history, and I’m eager to get my hands on book 1 in the series.

-Digital ARC provided by Entangled Publishing via NetGalley, in exchange for a review.

No comments:

Post a Comment