Monday, September 7, 2015

Review: Shattered Blue - Lauren Bird Horowitz

"It's OK, the tree missed me.  I'm fine."


Title: Shattered Blue
Author: Lauren Bird Horowitz
ISBN: 9781503949973
Publication Date: September 15, 2015
Publisher: Skyscape
Source: NetGalley

From BN.com:

For Noa and Callum, being together is dangerous, even deadly. From the start, sixteen-year-old Noa senses that the mysterious transfer student to her Monterey boarding school is different. Callum unnerves and intrigues her, and even as she struggles through family tragedy, she’s irresistibly drawn to him. Soon they are bound by his deepest secret: Callum

~*~

I did not finish this book.  I tried, but couldn't get myself to keep reading beyond the first quarter.  That's not to say it's a bad book, just that the book and I weren't meant to be.

Based on what I did read, I do have to say I really enjoyed that Horowitz brought in some of Noa's poetry, because it did give her more depth.  Noa is also a strong portrayal of a young woman being hit by a number of difficult experiences ad refusing to allow these to defeat her; her sister dying, her mother basically giving up on everything, and a rambunctious little sister. all work together to show us a well rounded character.

Further, I liked what world building I did see before I decided I was done trying to force myself to read further.

~*~

I would recommend this to fans of Colleen Houck's The Tiger Saga, Stephanie Meyer's Twilight series, and other similar titles.

-Digital ARC provided by Netgalley, in exchange for a review.

No comments:

Post a Comment