Sunday, September 13, 2015

Review: This Book Will Change Your Life - Amanda Weaver

"That's the great thing about books...As opposed to movies, or God forbid, real life- The only thing that matters is how the reader perceives it."


Title: This Book Will Change Your Life
Author: Amanda Weaver
ISBN: 9781633754317
Publication Date: September 28, 2015
Publisher: Entangled Publishing
Source: Netgalley

From Goodreads:

College was supposed to be where Hannah’s hard work paid off, but the major in honors chemistry she’s been working towards since childhood is slipping away. Worse, she’s not sure she wants it anymore. Salvation comes from an unlikely place—a used bookstore and Ben, the passionate college senior who works there.

Ben’s trapped in a life mapped out for him. Trapped in a future career as a lawyer to make his father happy. Trapped pursuing a girl he doesn't even like because she fits into a world he doesn’t want, but can’t escape. But then he meets Hannah. And for the first time, he knows what it means to truly want something.



~*~

Super cute romance that made my bibliophile self squee!  I adored all of the bookish bits in this novel; especially, when I'd already read the majority of the books Ben recommends to Hannah.  It was like reading the inner monologue I had every time I spotted a cute, glasses wearing guy in my bookstore.

Weaver does a fantastic job of maintaining a balance of fluff and nonsense, and emotional turmoil without going overboard and turning the story into a campy feeling romance.  I particularly enjoyed watching the growth of Ben and Hannah's characters as the novel progressed.  It showed a real development of their characterization, and was nice to be able to come to the end with a pair I had really grown to love.

My one major complaint was the way Weaver presented Ben's family.  I understand they were meant to be the controlling, everything must be done my way or it's the highway for you, kind of people; but, I found them to be ridiculously two dimensional.  Especially at the end of the book.

Otherwise, This Book Will Change Your Life is a fun romance, with definite beach reads qualifications, that made me add Weaver to my ever growing list of authors to watch for.

-Digital ARC provided by the publisher, via Netgalley, in exchange for a review.

No comments:

Post a Comment